Wow. This one takes a little self editing... a little filtering if you wish. Otherwise... t.m.i.
1. I am a wife. I think I'll start with a hierarchical approach, with relationships. First and foremost, I am a wife. Hubster and I committed to each other nearly 29 years ago and we proceeded to grow up together. We've worked together and striven to be the people, the couple, and the family we are. I think he'd agree that we come first with each other so that together we can put our family first.
2. I am a mother. Even though my kids are 16 and 20, there is barely an hour in any day that goes by that they don't occupy my thoughts or actions or both. For me, that is as it should be.
3. I am the member of a large extended family. Not only did being the oldest child of 6 affect my personality (bossy and commandeering much?), the ongoing relationships with adult sibs, their kids, in-laws, their kids, cousins, etc. affect the way I see and interact with the world. Nearly every storm, every breaking news story, every internet incident affects someone in my family. You've heard of 6 degrees of separation? Really, there are only 2.
4. I am a friend. I have the great fortune to have collected a powerfully wonderful group of friends over the years -- through knitting, church, reading, teaching. I am blessed with lovely counselors, listeners, laughers, drinkers of coffee ...
5. I am a knitter.
6. I am a foodie. I love to cook. I love to analyze ingredients. I like to taste pairings of wine with food. I like to contemplate and extrapolate cooking techniques. I like to share food with family and friends. Sharp knives are a pet peeve.
7. I am a dog person. I've owned cats, and they were fine, but when I got my first dog, I figured out my true animal love. My dogs are big and demanding and funny and more like children to me than pets. Both are sleeping at my feet as I type this morning, warm and whiffy.
8. I am a reader of preposterous romance novel junk. Well, the books are not all junk, some of them are super funny and smart -- have you read any Susan Elizabeth Phillips or Jeanne Frost? Otherwise? Mostly crap. I've read or listened to 12 books since January 1. See number 5 -- I was on a deadline. That's a lot.
9. I am a teacher. It seems no matter where I fall in my adult life, I am a teacher. I spent 13 years teaching English, French, and Speech to high school students. When I began to stay home 16 years ago, it wasn't 4 years and I was teaching knitting at Janine's, then working at Hearthstone Knits, and now at Knitorious, teaching knitting. It's in my nature. I instruct. See number three.
10. Wait ... I am more than 10 things. I thought I'd have a hard time coming up with 10. Squished into this last slot? I am a Catholic. I am a musician. I am a Liberal. I am a cusser. I am a True Blood/True Detective/Shameless/Homeland/Newsroom/Downton Abbey/Sherlock/Deadwood/Sopranos junkie. I am a sentimentalist. I am an ENFP. I am a Leo born in the year of the Tiger.
What are you?